Artist Birthdays, July 22: EDWARD HOPPER, ALEXANDER CALDER
EDWARD HOPPER (July 22, 1882 – May 15, 1967)
Field: Painting, printmaking
Art Movement: American Realism
ARTiFact: House by the Railroad (1925) is said to have inspired Alfred Hitchcock, who used it as the model for the Bates Hotel in Psycho.
Artist Quote: “The man’s the work. Something doesn’t come out of nothing.”
Important Artwork (shown below): Nighthawks, 1942.
ALEXANDER CALDER (July 22, 1898 – November 11, 1976)
- Nationality: American
- Field: Sculpture, painting
- Art Movement: Surrealism, Kinetic sculpture
- ARTiFact: Famous for inventing the mobile, a term coined by fellow artist Marcel Duchamp in 1931.
- Artist Quote: “To an engineer, good enough means perfect. With an artist, there’s no such thing as perfect.”
- Important Artwork (shown below): Red Lily Pads (Nénuphars rouges), 1956.
Learn more about your favorite artists at bio.parkwestgallery.com